My fellow Residents, I realize you want to make sure you’ll be voting for the right candidate on July 1 when you name the next Governor of Second Life. Here’s a summary of my positions on the issues of the day.
- Government Corruption – I pledge to you that an Evans Administration will stand for a government based on the principles of common sense and fairness for all. I believe in equal rights for all, and special privileges for none.
- Freedom of Speech – As your Governor, I will launch an immediate investigation into all bannings from forums, blogs, etc., that appear to be “politically motivated.” You do not foster a “marketplace of ideas” by banning the speech of those you disagree with. The answer to “bad” speech is more speech.
- Justice – I pledge a reform of the justice system in SL, to a system where justice will not only be done, it will be seen to be done. There will be no more “star chamber” proceedings, no more Abuse Reports that disappear into a black hole. We will establish clearly defined principles of justice, based, as always, on common sense and fairness, and these principles will be open and accessible to all. It is a basic truism that one must always be able to tell if one’s own actions are violating the law; we will make that truism a reality.
- The Economy – Second Life is in a better shape economically than it has ever been before, with a highly-stable L$ exchange rate and solid quarter-over-quarter growth. This will continue under an Evans Administration. We will maintain a laissez-faire policy towards the business community, which will allow them to reap the rewards of their efforts without government interference. We will pledge greater support for intellectual property rights, to protect their hard work.
- Property Rights – It has long been accepted as a part of common law that “a man’s home is his castle.” This should be true in Second Life as well. All Residents should be able to defend their property against incursion or misuse by others. No avatar shall be deprived of their property without due process of law.
- Foreign Relations – The greatest threat Second Life faces is an imposition of rules set in law from the outside, by ham-fisted RL government entities who see the hobbling of our freedoms as a way to score political points. To that end, as Governor, I will pledge cooperation in the rooting out of deplorable criminals, such as pedophiles, to prove to the RL apparatchiks that we are capable of policing ourselves, and no expenditure of effort on their part is necessary. At the same time, I will carry on the fight to help preserve our way of life and keep outside forces from interfering.
- Newbie Outreach – Newbies, quite literally, are our future. They deserve all the assistance they need and want to make their Second Lives successful. We have many fine organizations, such as The Shelter and NCI, devoted to the assistance of newbies. As your Governor, I will pledge increased support for these organizations, so that they may maintain and even expand their operations in support of their mission, even as the influx of newbies continues to grow. We will not be giving them a “hand out,” but rather, a “hand up”–to turn them into solid, upstanding Residents, rather than griefers.
- Government Outreach and Feedback – As your Governor, I will not sit in an ivory tower and ignore the opinions of my fellow Residents, many of whom are highly intelligent. We will hold regular outreach meetings where Residents may provide feedback and have their questions answered. And we will work to encourage participation in the community governance at all levels, training people in our ethos of common sense and fairness. If we can do that, then, when I step down from this office in favor of my successor, no matter who that person is, I will know that the government of Second Life is in good hands.
And remember, Residents, you can believe me, because I’m always right, and I never lie!
Thank you, God bless you, and God bless Second Life.